CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Elder Lyman gets a new companion & has an unschedule train ride across France!!!


Here is Elder Lyman's email from this week..............

So I'm about 5 days into my second transfer. As I told you last week I have a new companion, who is Scottish. What I probably didn't tell you is that I now have two new companions, because I didn't know I would. As I believe I told you Angers switched back to four missionaries and the other missionary who was coming was training a new missionary. It is by the way the one I had mentioned, who me and Dane had kind of been friends with in the MTC, but he wasn't on the plane with Dane coming over. In fact he is still in America, or maybe in a plane right now. I guess he was sick or injured or something and so he didn't get released from the MTC, so he probably will come sometime this week, we're not sure when. So, he is supposed-to-be companion to me and also my companion for now, which is pretty different. Adding one more person makes things a lot weirder, but it's fine for now. So far things are going fine this transfer with the new companions, though it's quite a change and will be hard to get used to. One experience you may be interested in hearing is what happened on Wednesday when I took Elder Wagner to the train station to send him off. I took him and we found his train and so I was helping him get his stuff on it, but what i didn't know was you're not allowed to get on the train and help them without a ticket. so anyways i was on the train helping him and suddenly I heard the door close behind me, which wasn't good.  I said what do I do and we were kind of panicking and we got the attention of a train worker guy. Elder Wagner told him I needed to get off and I didn't have a ticket and he needed to open etc. and he just said, what? We can't open the doors now, there's nothing I can do. And sure enough the train started moving a few seconds later, headed for Paris, with me on it. So the worker guy said he would go talk to his colleagues or whatever and a few minutes later a couple of workers came and said (in english), so you are having a problem? So we explained what happened and they just kind of huddled for a second then said, ok generally you are not allowed to get on the train without a ticket, which didn't do me a ton of good at the time, but they said, what you can do is get off at Le Mans (the next stop, luckily only about 40 or so minutes away, and not all the way to Paris) and go with the worker guy (who we had originally talked to) and he is getting on the train there back to Angers and he'll explain that you don't need a ticket etc. So they were really nice and I did just that and it worked out fine. But I was late getting to the station in Angers to pick up my new companion so I had to have a member go wait for him and explain what was happening. It was interesting, but it was fine, in fact for some reason the guy told me to sit down in a first class seat when we got on the train back, so that was kind of cool, though not much better. So that was pretty much my experience of the week. Other than that not much has happened, except maybe ping-pong and pancakes. Ping-pong and pancakes is an activity that I guess the missionaries in quite a few places do here. They just invite investigators and members Saturday nights to come play ping-pong (the churches here have ping-pong tables rather than gyms and basketball courts I guess) and make and eat pancakes. We hadn't really done it here yet except one time with like 3 people, but the new missionaries wanted to get it going. So on Friday we told a few people at the church (seminary and institute people) we'd be doing it, so we thought a few people might show up but not many, since it was the next night. But it turned out that like 20 members and a few investigators came and it was really cool, so that was awesome. It was actually ping-pong, volleyball and pancakes, because we found out there are volleyball nets to set up in the parking lot. It was cool and hopefully we'll get people to come each week. Things are going good right now, the language might be coming a little bit and I’m feeling pretty good about things. They say every transfer is faster than the last, which will be pretty crazy if it's true. Sometimes 16 transfers seems like quite a bit, but when I look at how fast my first one went it doesn't seem like very long. I only have a few minutes so I guess I'll wrap it up. I love you all and miss everybody.

 

 

0 comments: