CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

General Conference & a baptism all in the same weekend!!




Hey everybody. Yes I got to watch conference, everything except for the Sunday afternoon session because here it ends at midnight. So Saturday night we went to the church for the Saturday morning session, then spent all day Sunday there.


Sunday at 11 was the priesthood session, 2 was Saturday afternoon, 4:30 we had a baptism, then 6 was Sunday morning. So I won't get to hear Sunday afternoon but I'll be able to read the talks in French when we get "Le Liahona". It was all good, obviously.


I'm not sure what I'd say my favorite parts were. President Monson's talk about service was good, obviously. I liked how he said something like a life not spent serving others is without purpose. That's something difficult that I hope I can improve a lot on in the next 16 months, overcoming the natural man who feels to be happy you need to worry about your own wants and needs. Sometimes it's really difficult to see how real happiness comes from forgetting yourself but watching somebody like President Monson, whose entire life is serving others, you can't really doubt it. I also liked the talks about hardships and hard work, like President Uchtdorf's and I believe Elder Clayton's. Everything about hardships being experiences to grow and things for which we'll be grateful later when we have the full perspective I think definitely can apply to a mission. Also Elder Clayton talked about how work is a constant burdon and blessing, and that is something I need to learn. Some days I feel like I'll really be able to be happy after these 2 years are over and I can just relax, which I know isn't actually true. Life is never going to get easy and I'll be happy when I really learn to work. We just need to find joy in the journey. I hope somebody around me will be able to get the talks on their iPod or something so I can relisten to them and hoepfully be able to listen to the Sunday afternoon session. With a full day of conference and being at the church sometimes it was hard to concentrate and stuff, and the English room just had the speakers of a tv and it was pretty quiet, so it would be good to go through again.


Also as I mentioned we had a baptism between sessions so that was cool. I mentioned the guy last week, he's awesome and was definitely prepared and ready to be found by the missionaries. One cool thing about the baptism is that a priest in the ward was going to do it but he couldn't so it actually was done by a guy who was baptized last transfer. We weren't sure about doing that but he did great and knew what he was doing. It was really cool.

0 comments: